5 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Alec Goncharoff 6 years, 7 months ago
    • Alec Goncharoff
      Participant
      @alec

45-46MP CMOS sensor, D5’s AF system, 4k UHD video, expanded iso [expanded from D810], no EVF viewfinder, twice the resolution of the D810, tilt touchscreen.Nikon D850

• Bobbio
      Participant
      @nikita

Sounds interesting as long as the reduction in pixel size doesn’t bring high ISO quality issues.

• Alec Goncharoff
      Participant
      @alec

f-Stoppers ran a nice piece on the camera a couple of days ago – https://fstoppers.com/gear/nikon-d850-be-baby-nikon-d5-more-specs-rumored-190005

They indicate that the D850 will be selling for about $4,000 or about $1,000 more than the D810. Apparently, Nikon is considering doing the same thing Canon did with the 5D Mark III, it will continue to produce and sell the D810. It will use a 46MP sensor. No seen anything about whether this is a Sony or Nikon sensor, but I would expect a Nikon-made sensor.

It is more difficult maintaining high ISO and dynamic range as you increase pixel density (resolution). So far, Nikon and Sony have done some nice tricks to reduce noise at the base level of the sensor that provides a near-iso-less product. An additional issue with the higher resolution sensors is that they clearly demonstrate the limitations of lower resolution lenses.

All-in-all, I expect that it will be a fine camera though the reviewers will undoubtedly show their dissatisfaction where it doesn’t meet their expectations. Nikon has chose to not go use the Mark I etc. process of naming. That’s probably a good thing as far as controlling expectations.

• Jo Jo
      Participant
      @janna

Owning both the d750 and d810 I can’t wait to ditch the toy-like d750. The d850 is such a great marriage of those two bodies but in the much more professional feeling d810 body (plus D5 AF, focus peaking, etc). Even if a d760, or whatever, comes out that is the d850 in a d750 body (with some compromises like 1/4000 max SS) I’ll for one be glad to have the more substantial and better quality d850.

• Bobbio
      Participant
      @nikita

Asking for Nikon D850 – $3800

For sale a brand new D850 from Adorama, which is an authorized Nikon’s dealer.
      Camera has never been used or removed from box. All original accessories and invoice will be included.

Shipping with USPS priority mail 1-3 days or any other UPS/Fedex shipping you like.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.